The cold season has already arrived in many parts of the country. Here in Hattiesburg, MS you never know what you’re going to get. ,
It’s important to prepare your home for the colder weather coming. Taking a little bit of time to winterize your home can save you a lot of time, and money, later on. Check out these tips for preparing your home for the fall and winter.
1. Check window and door weather stripping for damage.
2. Disconnect water hoses and turn off outdoor water supply lines and irrigation system.
3. Wrap exterior water pipes or hose bibs with heating tape.
4. Clean your gutters.
5. Check your roof for damage or leaks.
6. Fill cracks in your driveway and foundation.
7. Check attic insulation for pest damage.
8. Have your HVAC serviced.
9. Check your chimney for obstructions and make sure your damper is working.
10. Clean and store your lawnmower.
11. Aerate and fertilize your lawn.
12. Change the air filters in your HVAC system.
13. Change smoke detector batteries.
14. Clean and store outdoor furniture.
15. Have landscaping pruned and put fresh mulch down.
16. Bring potted plants inside and plant cold loving plants like pansies for a splash of color.
17. Clean your ceiling fan blades direction, then change their direction.
18. Clean humidifiers before using.
19. Check the condition of your pool cover.
20. Make sure snow equipment is working. HA HA. That was a joke, Hattiesburg. But winter, when the days are mild, can be a good month to do exterior repairs like your roof, fence, or screens. Subcontractors aren’t always as busy.
And don’t forget to enjoy being outside. Fire pits and hot chocolate can do a bare patio into something special.
I hope you found these tips useful. If there are things you like to do in the cooler months, drop them in the comments. I’d love to hear from you.